The All About Our Seafood page is now on screen. It contains graphs and visualizations that may be difficult to read. Click here to close this page.
Meat & Seafood: All About Our Seafood
We’re committed to ensuring sustainable seafood is available in our stores. Just look for the responsibly or sustainably sourced icons. You’ll find them in the fresh seafood case and on shelf tags in the frozen seafood section.
So what do the responsibly and sustainably sourced icons mean? Here’s a quick guide:
- Wild-caught: Considered managed by the Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP) OR in a credible, graded fishery improvement project (FIP).
- Farm-raised: The farm level of the supply chain qualifies for a Global Sustainable Seafood Initiative (GSSI)-approved ecolabel. May also be certified at the hatchery, plant, and/or feed levels.
- Wild-caught: Qualifies for a GSSI-approved ecolabel OR evaluated by the SFP and considered well managed.
- Farm-raised: All four levels of the supply chain (farm, hatchery, plant, and feed) qualify for a GSSI-approved ecolabel. Shellfish must qualify at all three levels of the supply chain (farm, plant, and hatchery).
GreenWise Sustainably Sourced
- Wild-caught: Meets all the sustainably sourced criteria above. Additionally, contains no bisulfates, phosphates, nonphosphates, or other processing aids.
- Farm-raised: Meets all the sustainably sourced criteria above. Additionally, is raised without ever using antibiotics or hormones, and contains no bisulfates, phosphates, nonphosphates, or other processing aids.
Wondering about the seafood not marked either responsibly or sustainably sourced? It may still be sourced using sustainable methods, but it hasn’t yet been evaluated by the Sustainable Fisheries Partnership or GSSI ecolabels.