The Water Conservation page is now on screen. It contains graphs and visualizations that may be difficult to read. Click here to close this page.
Storefront: Water Conservation
CONSERVING EVERY LITTLE DROP,
FROM OUR STORES TO OUR MANUFACTURING PLANTS
Two of our stores are piloting smart irrigation systems, which allowed us to save 7.8 million gallons of water in 2015. Because of the fantastic results we’ve seen, we are in the process of implementing these systems in 14 additional stores and continuing to explore locations.
Our irrigation specifications at our company-controlled locations ensure that:
- Reclaimed or well water is used whenever possible.
- Rain and soil moisture sensors are installed with automatic control gauges to determine when landscaping needs water.
- Irrigation systems are designed only after choosing plants and landscape design.
- Irrigation sprinklers don’t overlap into single zones.
- Drip irrigation and micro-sprinklers are used where appropriate.
Our Dairy Manufacturing team’s modifications to four Cleaning In Place (CIP) automatic wash systems also saves us 10.4 million gallons of water annually.
Other water conservation efforts include installing low-flow faucets, toilets, and waterless urinals in our store bathrooms.